As the UK's most popular pet, with 26% of the UK adult population owning a dog, it's only right that our favourite companions have a whole day to celebrate them! National Dog Day (August 26th) is here, so let's take this moment to treasure our much loved four-legged friends.
Fun fact: did you know that dog owners spend an average of £240 on their pooches every month - that equates to a massive £24.5 billion a year!
Editor’s Note: This article was originally written in 2019 and has been updated for 2021.
Why Are Dogs The Most Popular Pet?
There are an estimated 9.6 million pet dogs in the UK, with cross and mixed breeds being the most popular choice of pooch. When it comes to pedigree, however, the labrador is the number one choice in the UK. Dogs are named 'man's best friend' for a good reason; having a hound around the house has proven physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Their companionship can make you feel less lonely.
- Their good for your heart - a study found that people with dogs had lower blood pressure levels and responded better to stress.
- They encourage you to move; their need for daily walks keeps not only your dog fit but you too!
- They make you more attractive. So, if you're looking for a date, it might be worth taking your pooch along with you.
- And of course, they make you happier. After all, how you could not feel the love when they stare at you with their big puppy eyes?
These benefits have been felt more than ever since the outbreak of COVID-19. In fact, an estimated 3.2 million UK homes bought a pet in the lockdown, with dogs and cats being the most popular animals; but the sad truth is that one in five new dog owners are now considering rehoming their 'pandemic puppy'.
The Campaigns That Can Paw-Sitively Benefit From Doggy Merchandise
The answer: plenty! There's an almost endless list of dog-related businesses in the UK; vets, dog groomers, doggy daycares and pet photographers are just a few! No matter the size of your organisation, increasing brand awareness will always be a priority within your marketing strategy - and as we all know, promotional giveaways are one of the best marketing campaigns for return on investment.
As dogs are the most popular pet in Britain, being part of this industry can be extremely rewarding (and we don't mean with dog treats). Even if your brand is not directly linked to dogs, you could incorporate the love of pups within your next marketing campaign. For example...
- Work for a dog rescue organisation or a similar canine-themed charity and want to encourage people to meet the dogs and understand why choosing to rescue a dog is so important? Then take inspiration from the Wetnose Dog Rescue Gala, where people hear the heart-warming stories of rescue dogs finding their 'fur-ever' homes as they walk down the catwalk (ironic) with a celebrity. The event is filled with promotional products that are ideal for helping to generate awareness for the cause, as well as helping to raise all-important funds, too.
- Operate a dog grooming business? Sending branded items to your customers shows you appreciate their business and encourages brand loyalty.
- If you run a veterinary surgery, logo-printed toys or dog bowls can make a great giveaway to hand-out to customers at the end of an appointment.
So, with all that in mind, let's take a look at some of the very best dog-related promotional merchandise for your canine business, as inspired by National Dog Day...
Collapsible Dog Bowls
Perfect for a day out and about, your customer can easily pack and unpack this promotional collapsible dog bowl. Your logo is clearly printed on the base, offering consistent brand exposure.
Promotional Tennis Balls
Keep the dogs entertained for hours with a game of fetch. These personalised tennis balls can be used again and again, maximising awareness for your business every time it's thrown.
Price on application
Raise the woof with your next marketing campaign and look at gifting your customers with a promotional dog item that they will treasure fur-ever!
Pet Waste Bag Dispensers
A must-have item for any dog walk, the trusty poop bag. So why not print your logo to one and hand them out to your dog-walking customers or colleague?
Available in three colour choices, these waste bags feature a twist-off end which enables you to refill the bags again (and again!) when they run out.