Introducing our brand new content series, The Magic of Merch. We'll be bringing you stories that step behind the products and explore the incredible positive impact that promotional merchandise can have on people, events, milestone moments and more.
WellChild is the national charity for sick children, and their WellChild Awards are a highlight of the charity calendar, celebrating the bravery and determination of the "inspirational and seriously ill" children that the organisation supports.
The event also honours the "dedication of those individuals who go the extra mile to help these children and their families", according to the charity's official website.
Total Merchandise has been delighted to work with WellChild in the past and so when they contacted us earlier this year if we'd like to get involved in their 2022 event, we jumped at the opportunity.
Offering an amazing few hours of glitz, glamour and most importantly of all fun to children and their families, the WellChild Awards is a celebration that we're truly proud to be able to support.
The Wristbands Chosen for the WellChild Awards
We supported the WellChild Awards by providing our 15mm Festival Style Fabric Wristbands.
A few quick things that you should know about these ever-popular wristbands:
- They offer the epitome of comfort due to their soft fabric material
- They're made in the UK, meaning your order helps to promote and support a UK manufacturer
- They make a great alternative to paper tickets
- They can be printed with your design in full colour, giving you complete creative control
So why were these wristbands chosen by WellChild for their event?
Knowing that they could print their wristbands in full colour meant that WellChild could essentially do what they liked with the wristbands. They opted to invite the children that the Awards would be honouring to create their very own designs, which were printed onto the wristbands.
Wristbands from the 2019 WellChild Awards, designed by the children who were honoured at that year's event.
This isn't the first year WellChild have opted to use wristbands in lieu of ticketing - and neither is it the first time that they've challenged attendees to design the artwork. The idea is simple yet works perfectly for the event, as well as offering some artistic appeal to the core younger demographic that the occasion is aimed at.
"Each wristband at our 2022 event was designed by a child or young person supported by WellChild," explains Jessie Easterby, Events Manager at WellChild. "Their designs looked beautiful on the wristbands and they are a lovely memento of the evening."
As well as featuring their artwork, the wristbands were also printed with the names of the artists, meaning that every single guest at the event knew whose design they were wearing, from Carmela's stars-and-smiley-faces to Ava's colourful polka dots.
With a wide range of ages on the guest-list, these UK-made fabric wristbands were also a great choice due to their versatile and adjustable design.
The wristbands also provided a fuss-free indicator that the wearer was an attendee of the event, making ticketing safe, simple and fun.
"The wristbands were not only great to engage guests with WellChild's family stories - they also act as a great point of security for our event," says Jessie.
"They're so unique and the clasp used means they can't be shared with other people."
A number of famous faces attended the WellChild Awards, adding some celebrity sparkle to an already glittering affair. Among them were TV presenter Gaby Roslin; singer and TV personality Frankie Bridge; Dragons' Den star and entrepreneur Duncan Bannatyne; singer Ella Henderson; and TV presenters Dick 'n' Dom, among others.
That said, the real stars were, of course, the children and their families. It looks like the event was an inspiring celebration of bravery, courage and determination against all odds - and hopefully the wristbands will offer guests a lasting visual reminder of one spectacular evening. Watch the video below to find out more.
Simple Tips For Choosing The Right Merch For Your Event
Want to create your own magical celebration? Whether you're planning an awards night or an industry get-together, here are a few tips for picking the perfect products for your occasion.
- Follow the lead of WellChild by choosing items that can tick multiple boxes. For example, WellChild chose full colour wristbands that gave the award-winning children a chance to enjoy some creativity, as well as feel the pride of seeing other people wearing their designs. The wristbands also doubled up as a handy ticket alternative.
- Give thoughts to the origins of your merchandise. Whether you opt for products that have been made in the UK or items that are made from sustainable materials, there are options out there to match the considerations of your business.
- Pick products that can be worn or used after the event is over. A practical item that doubles up as a memento of an amazing day will ensure that awareness for your cause or occasion stays high long after the final canapés have been devoured.
- Don't forget to give consideration to who will be attending your event. WellChild's wristbands were suitable for both the younger guests and the older ones thanks to their versatile design, meaning they were a comfortable fit for all attendees.
Find out more about the amazing winners of the 2022 WellChild Awards. All images provided courtesy of WellChild. Follow #TheMagicOfMerch on Instagram for more inspiring real-life stories that show how promotional merchandise really is magical.